Friday, December 7, 2007

Oh, Racer, You're So Colourful!



The first stills from the Wachowskis' Speed Racer are out! And, well, they're not what I'd expected from the filmmakers who gave us The Matrix. A little disappointing for me then, because I thought it would be a little dark, a lot stylish, a bit more realistic, somewhat like the kind of look they'd been going for in The Matrix and even V For Vendetta.

But, wait, what's this? If I hadn't known it was the Wachowskis, I'd think Speed Racer's a Tim Burton movie! The colours, the brightness, the camp! It looks like an updated 80s Tron meets Charlie And The Chocolate Factory meets Talladega Nights!

Looks like they - like the makers of Sin City and 300 and Scooby Doo and other cartoon/comics adaptations - are going the "full homage to source" way in terms of aesthetics. Sigh.

Check out the stills here.


COPYRIGHT POLICY: It's simple: Steal my stuff and I'll kick you in the nuts