Thursday, January 17, 2008

American Distributors See What We Don't See

The latest tragedy of title-change to befall an Asian movie is that of Feng Xiaogang's The Banquet. Reported a few days ago on Twitch, The Banquet (which I enjoyed immensely) is getting an American DVD release, but it's getting a title change.

It will be called Legend Of The Black Scorpion.

I personally think it would be extremely interesting to hear how Dragon Dynasty, the company releasing the DVD, would explain the new title, if they care to explain at all. I certainly don't recall a black scorpion (are there white scorpions, pink scorpions or green scorpions?) being central to the film, and I sure don't remember there being any kind of legend.

Other victims include SPL which is now called Kill Zone, Flash Point (The Signal) and Tom Yum Goong (The Protector).

This leads me to conclude that American distributors must see what the rest of us don't see. Otherwise, how do you explain this:



COPYRIGHT POLICY: It's simple: Steal my stuff and I'll kick you in the nuts