Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nothing Nice To Say, Sir?

This post has been a long time coming. I'd put it off until today, when I visited Kaiju Shakedown, and found this. The entertainment press in China, it seems, is getting desperate for news, and so runs some really dumb (as perceived by Grady Hendrix) news items.

Now, if you've been reading Kaiju Shakedown long enough, as long as I have, you'd know that the blog's a great source of film news and other quirky stuff. Grady writes in a humorous and interesting style. But you'd also notice, as I have, judging from the kind of posts about China that appears on the blog, it would seem that China is a really terrible country and many stupid things happen there.

This has been the trend at Kaiju when it comes to writing about China. Almost every post has been negative, always something sarcastic that puts the country in a very bad light. I don't claim to know what Grady and Kaiju's motive is, or if there's any, but there certainly is a negative perception there of China.

I guess the most ridiculous thing yet was when Grady kind of made excuses for Sharon Stone's idiotic, heartless, inconsiderate comment about the Sichuan earthquake. Read this post. It would seem poor Sharon was misunderstood, and we should all beg her forgiveness.

You can read more negative posts about China here, here, here and here.

I mean, what's up, man? Have you got nothing nice to say AT ALL about China? The Olympics get it, the official Olympic cheer gets it, even the kind of jokes they make in China get put down, and that sounds rather desperate on the blog's part, almost as desperate as the entertainment press in China they claim are out of precious "nuggets."

It would seem that there's something about China that gets Grady Hendrix's goat. Every time.

Well, at least we can all breathe a sigh of relief now that the Shanghai International Film Festival has kicked Sharon Stone out. I don't see Stone, Richard Gere, or Steven Spielberg making a big deal or boycotting all American events or stop working in America because of Iraq. Like Stone says: "... I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else."

A commentor on that post on Kaiju succinctly puts it, hypothetically, of course, that what if Stone said this:

"Of cause (sic) I have. You know, it’s very interesting about that since first, I’m not happy about the way USA treats the Iraqis because I think anyone should not be unkind to anyone else. And so I am being very concerned about the election of the next president of the US and A, because we had not being nice to Saddam Hussein, who is a good friend of mine."

I won't reproduce the rest of the comment here, because the rest might be offensive to some, but you can go over to that Kaiju post and read it.


COPYRIGHT POLICY: It's simple: Steal my stuff and I'll kick you in the nuts