Monday, June 2, 2008

Miscellaneous Miscellany

Dasavatharam opens this Thursday, and it being one of the most highly anticipated Tamil movie releases, also it being a Kamal Haasan movie, you can be sure the cinemas are going to be packed for weeks. I, myself, can't wait to see it ... that is, if I can get tickets.

Also, Tsui Hark's Missing opens June 12. You know, Tsui Hark is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get ... until opening day. We'll see if it does a better job than the disappointing Seven Swords.

Meanwhile, I went to catch Long Khong 2 last Friday evening. And my goodness, it was a full house! I didn't think much of the first Long Khong, but the second one is watchable because Napakpapah Nakprasit is so ultra-hot in it, much more so than in the first one. I don't know why, I couldn't take my eyes off her. Must be that ol' devil called sexy. Evil women are such turn-ons.

Speaking of Thailand, the country's new censorship laws take effect starting today. And the laws are pretty scary. There's one that says producers of films that threaten "national security" can be jailed up to one year.

Wisekwai wonders how the new laws will affect international film festivals and art gallery screenings. He also says:

It is alarming that the people making the films and taking all the risks aren't being given a voice in the process, while various special interest groups like doctors and clergymen will have a major say on whether a film can be shown.

He is, of course, referring to the recent controversy surrounding Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Syndromes And A Century, which authorities took issue with its depictions of doctors consuming alcohol and monks playing guitar and with electronic toys. It is indeed worrying when the opinions of those whose work will be directly affected by the new laws are not taken into consideration. I wonder if Apichatpong, who has been very vocal in the movement to "free Thai cinema," has any contingency plans after this.


COPYRIGHT POLICY: It's simple: Steal my stuff and I'll kick you in the nuts