Friday, November 16, 2007

Surfing For DVDs

After months of not checking out what's new on DVD, I went to Amazon yesterday and discovered these:




I'd long been waiting for a proper DVD release for both films, especially Ju Dou. I've had a Taiwanese DVD of Raise The Red Lantern for years, but the transfer is atrocious, to say the least.

Had to get them, of course, but it all came up to about US$39. I decided to check out YesAsia, and lo and behold, the exact same R1 discs were available. Although the price of each was slightly higher, I had free shipping, so it all came up to about US$33. It was the first time I had ordered from YesAsia, and another surprise was to wake up today and find an email saying my orders have been shipped. That was quick!

Then I went to my old haunt, the Aussie store EzyDVD, and discovered pre-orders for Interview With The Vampire Special Edition and 2001: A Space Odyssey 2-Disc Special Edition going really cheap. These have been released in the US, of course, but apparently they're not out yet in Australia.

I'd order them, but there's also the matter of the Criterion Collection edition of Days Of Heaven. Sigh.

So, this week, the postman will be my best friend as I await the DVDs from YesAsia and a couple books from Acmamall.


COPYRIGHT POLICY: It's simple: Steal my stuff and I'll kick you in the nuts