Friday, February 1, 2008

Those Were The Days ...

Believe it or not, this movie was shown in Malaysia. No, serious, it was indeed released here, but it was back in the late 70s or early 80s. How do I know? Because I saw it ... as a kid.

Last night a friend overseas directed me to this page, from which he had ordered the DVD. He didn't know that the film is banned in his country. He was doubly shocked when I told him it was in cinemas here in conservative Malaysia.

I remember, when I was young, my dad had taken me to see a movie called Mountain Of The Cannibals, and upon my insistence too! This was back in the days when there were no ratings and parents didn't care if a movie was 18SX or 18SG or 18NG (No Go). I remember the excitement about the movie having been shot in Malaysia and featured some well-known Malaysian actors (as cannibals!). I do recall some gore, but as far as Ursula Andress goes, I certainly don't recall seeing much skin-flashing. It was probably a different, cleaner version of the movie cut for Malaysia, hence the altered title.

But according to IMDB, the original cut of the movie contains "a good share of violence and nudity."

It was banned in Australia and the UK. But it was shown in Malaysia. How cool is that? Those were the days, indeed.


COPYRIGHT POLICY: It's simple: Steal my stuff and I'll kick you in the nuts